How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a departed relative: your used hearing aids need to be donated versus throwing them away.
There are plenty of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a few organizations out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the total population, around 14% suffer from some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would benefit approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
This is extremely troubling. Because neglected hearing loss has been connected to multiple health problems from an increased risk of falling to mental decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out every day showing how important hearing is to your general health. These health issues can be prevented and in some cases reversed by hearing aids.
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a really persuasive point. But that cost can actually be reduced by up to 50% with hearing aids.
It might not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a tremendous effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they can’t hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by many manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can just give us a call.