You know what it’s like to try to disregard a toothache? It can be pretty difficult. After a while, you end up having no choice but to see a dentist. The same thing occurs when your eyesight begins to lose focus. You’ll probably call an ophthalmologist when you begin to have trouble reading street signs. But the concern is, when your hearing begins to go you may not show as much urgency.
This would more than likely be a mistake. Untreated hearing loss can be the reason for considerable health concerns (specifically mental problems). Naturally, you can only neglect your diminishing hearing if you’re actually aware of it. And there’s the second challenge.
Indications You Might Have Hearing Loss
We typically don’t appreciate our hearing. A loud performance? No big deal.. Blaring ear pods? You like to listen to your podcasts like this. But your overall hearing will be significantly impacted by all of these choices, especially in the long run.
Unfortunately, those impacts may be hard to notice. The symptoms of hearing loss can be almost invisible because they creep up so slowly over time. So you should take some time to learn some primary red flags (and to take care of them sooner than later):
- You frequently have to ask individuals to repeat what they said
- You always have to crank up the volume on your devices
- You consistently blow the speakers in your earpods because you need the volume up too loud
- It’s challenging to understand conversations in loud or crowded settings
- Speech of those near you (friends, family, co-workers) sounds muffled or distorted
- You have a hard time falling asleep at night and feel exhausted for no reason
- You have a particularly hard time making out consonants when listening to everyday speech
- Your short term memory tends to suddenly fail sometimes
It’s pretty well recognized what these red flags and signs indicate. At first, you will be somewhat ignorant of your symptoms, particularly if they come on gradually, because your brain will instantly begin to compensate. That’s the reason why you should make an appointment with your hearing care professional because these warning signs should be taken seriously.
What Happens if You Neglect Your Hearing Loss?
Some individuals are, certainly, obstinate. Or they just don’t favor the idea of wearing a hearing aid. They think that wearing hearing aids makes them look old. But in reality, most modern hearing aids are practically undetectable (and it’s helpful when you can hear and participate in conversations).
Still, if you ignore hearing loss it may lead to numerous problems:
- Your relationships could fray: When you have a difficult time comprehending what your family and friends are saying, something can change in the relationship: you avoid speaking with them. You don’t call to say hi, you don’t keep up with what’s going on with them, you withdraw. Some of those relationships will be hurt, particularly if the issue is hearing loss that you have kept secret (and not some unspoken bitterness).
- Your hearing may get worse: Without a hearing aid or increased ear protection, You’ll continue to turn up your devices. Or you won’t use earplugs when you attend rock concerts. Which means you’ll keep doing harm to your ears and your hearing will almost certainly continue to decline because of it.
- You could go through cognitive decline and depression: As your relationships fray and going out becomes more difficult, you may start to notice symptoms of depression. You may also begin to go through some cognitive decline without the auditory activation your brain is used to, your neural physiology begins to experience certain changes. If your hearing loss isn’t addressed, it can bring about longterm cognitive challenges.
Hearing Loss Shouldn’t be Ignored
In the future, clearly, bigger and more substantial problems can be triggered by hearing loss. But the inverse is true: recognizing and treating your hearing loss can improve your quality of life considerably. Your every day life is more full and your relationships get better when you begin to hear better. And increasing your awareness, either by seeing a hearing specialist or downloading a noise-monitoring app, can enhance your overall hearing health.
You absolutely shouldn’t ignore the health concern of hearing loss. A happier life begins when you find the correct treatment. Don’t wait until the proverbial toothache becomes too painful to ignore.